Using WordPress as your Hosted Blog Platform
WordPress is a blog publishing system written in PHP and backed by a MySQL database. WordPress is the official successor of b2\cafelog, developed by Michel Valdrighi. The name WordPress was suggested by Christine Selleck, a friend of lead developer Matt Mullenwerg.
WordPress supports one weblog per installation, though multiple concurrent copies may be run from different directories if configured to use separate database tables.
WordPress MultiUser is a fork of WordPress created to allow simultaneous blogs to exist within one installation. WordPress MU makes it possible for any one with a website to host their own blogging community, control and moderate all the blogs from a single dashboard. WordPress MU adds a new data table for each blog. Notable communities that use MU are WordPress.com and Harvard University.
Starting Your Own Blog Site Part 3
After you have chosen your domain name and hosted the domain all you need now is a competent platform for your blog. My number one pick would be WordPress.
Why I chose WordPress?
- Highly Recommended: WordPress is the most widely used blog platform there is.
- Its FREE: You can download WordPress webhost file here. Everybody loves Free stuff.
- User Friendly : WordPress is what you use when you want to work with your blogging software, not fight it. Even as a new user I quickly got the hang of using WP as a blog platform. And besides, not everybody likes to stay all day in front of their computers editing websites.
- Highly Customizable: WordPress features editing tools inside its admin pages so you can add codes for your ads and other widgets. You can use WordPress on just about anything even e-commerce websites.
- Loads of FREE Plugins: There are loads of FREE plugins that are available for your WordPress blog from search engine optimization, gallery plugins, email form plugins, auto bookmarking plugins and many more.
- Thousands of FREE Themes: Free Free Free!
- Support: There are thousands of websites offering support and discussions for WP, from editing, themes, site optimization widgets and some hardcore WordPress manipulation you name it, and you will find what you are looking for.